Friday, October 1, 2010

Um, when do things get easier?

I used to ask myself this question all the time. Honestly, I still ask myself this several times a week. It just comes naturally when you have kids running around making life a little more challenging than when it was just you and your sweet hubby enjoying the simple life.

You need to go potty again? Who spilled applesauce on the floor? Ouch - you just gave Mommy a bloody nose! What did you eat that made your puke that color?

But my challenge to myself today (and most days) is to open my eyes and see how absolutely easy our lives are. No matter how many things seem difficult throughout the day, they're really NOTHING to complain about.

The first day that Jesse was in his cast I thought, "God, can I please have my old problems back? They were simple compared to this." Now, I have my old problems back and I'm remembering that feeling and trying to stay true to it.

On top of that, even having a child in a cast is NOTHING compared to the real challenges kids and parents face around the world. We live such comfortable lives and I need to be reminded of that often. This past Sunday I learned there are kids in Brazil whose only hope of survival past age 9 is to go into prostitution. Things like that help to put my life in perspective.

I don't need to list any of the horrific things that go on in the world. We all know they do. For me, I need to remember these things when I'm tempted to think I have it so rough. My definition of "difficult" is what needs to change.

I need to enjoy today, everyday, and live with an overwhelming sense of gratitude. On top of that, I need to teach my family to use the comfort and ease of life we've been given to make a difference and not hoard it for ourselves.

2 comments:

Tina said...

Ohhhhh....that's so beautiful!

WendyO said...

I think this all the time (both the fretting and the realization that I should not be complaining). I have come to realize God really DOESN'T give me more than I can handle (shocker, I know). Not even looking to the countries outside the U.S. but even just to some of my friends who battle with kids' health issues (ongoing), serious academic issues, social issues, etc. I really have to say that overall I need to be more grateful for the kids I have and come to realize that they may not be the best (or worst) in many areas, but they are the kids God gave me for a reason. And to remind myself to look for those reasons and act upon or appreciate those reasons.