Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Sometimes I'm the one who needs to shut up

I had one of those moments yesterday where I felt like a bad mom.

After a full day of many little aggravations (naps cut short, popcorn spilled on the floor, lots of brotherly fighting -- just the regular daily stuff), everything hit the fan at about 6:00. I was in the bathroom getting ready for our family photo shoot. Kids were already ready (miraculously) and were jumping around the bathroom like wild banshees while I was trying to get ready. Digging in my makeup drawer, spilling loose powder all over the place, breaking the lids off my eyeshadows, spraying hairspray in their faces, tripping over the cord on my hot flatiron (why is that cord so long anyway?). What should have taken 5 minutes was now taking me 25 to get ready.

To top it off, they climbed in the bathtub and one of the little rascals decided he was going to turn on the water (yes, the kids were already dressed for their photo shoot). I know it was just water, but I had had it. "You two shut up and get out of here now!" I screamed. I grabbed them by the arms and swung them out of the bathroom.

My 3-yr old was so taken aback at my anger that he fell on the floor and started crying. So my 2-yr old had to join in too. I looked at my two frightened children and knew I had made a mistake. I felt like a bad mom.

I apologized for getting angry and they moved on to chasing each other around the house. But I learned a valuable lesson: who cares what your Christmas card picture looks like if you hurt your relationship with your kids in the process.

No comments: