Friday, October 29, 2010

Appliances I Just Don't Understand


As a mom, I'm constantly looking for ways to simplify. Even 5 minutes of down time can be uber-valuable. So, lately I've been noticing that some of these popular appliances on the market just aren't for me. Three in particular. Now, I may think otherwise in the future, but today these three really bother me:

1. The French Door Fridge. Anytime I use one of these at someone's house I think, "Who has 2 hands free to open their fridge? And who can remember which side of the fridge they put something on every time?" Opening 2 doors is a total waste of time to me, especially when I'm in and out of my fridge at least 40 times a day. And I dislike the way the doors interlock too. That just bugs me. And don't get me started on the bottom freezer. What a mess! I know Samsung is coming up with ways to keep the bottom freezer more organized, but God help me, I need to SEE what's in my freezer without having to dig around in it, especially with two kids at my feet, in my arms, or begging for food.

2. The Front-loading Washing Machine. I was just thinking the other day what a pain it is to load and unload the dryer. I definitely prefer loading and unloading the washing machine (mine is a top-loader). To put clothes in, I just dump them straight from the laundry basket. To get clothes out, with just one load of kid's laundry, I have to reach in the washing machine at least 12 times to get all the little pieces of clothes out. Why in the world would I want to bend over sideways to do this from a front-loading washer??? I wish they'd invent a top loading dryer...  Or better yet -- a top-loading washing machine and dryer with removable baskets so that all you have to do is pull the entire basket out and dump it into the other machine. I think I'm on to something here!!!

3. The Bagless Vacuum. I didn't realize how much I'd dislike this until I bought one myself. Sure, it sounds appealing -- no bags to insert or pull out. They make it seem like it's less work. Now, maybe it's just the vacuum I have, but let me tell you it is WAY more work than my normal bagged one was. In lieu of a bag, I now have 3 filters to clean and replace. Yes, three. And they need cleaned regularly. Not only do these filters help pick up the junk in your carpet, they also pick up the smells from your carpet and carry those around, filling the rest of your house with the lovely odors until you replace the expensive suckers. And the plastic compartment where all the dust and nastiness from your carpet collects -- see through. Whose brilliant idea was that? Who wants to see all the dirt they've just vacuumed up from the carpet their precious kiddos have been playing on and undoubtedly eating food off of? Not me. I empty the thing almost every time I vacuum cause it disgusts me. And that just adds up to more work. (Probably about the same amount of time that's wasted by opening the doors on a french door fridge each day. :)
I know, I know, I'm probably just ignorant. Obviously millions of people have found the positive benefits in these items. But not me. Someone would have to give me a french door fridge and a front loading washing machine for free to try to convince me otherwise.

Now, don't even get me started on mini-vans...
And yes, the title of my previous blog below may be apropos at this point...

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

I never thought about French door refrigerators, or front door washing machines because I'm not willing to fork over the extra $$$ for one. I have a bagless vacuum and I like it, but it rarely gets used since we have all wood and tile in our house. I didn't want a mini-van but now that I have a nice roomie one with a DVD player and plenty of leg room for everyone including my husband, it's growing on me.

Stacey said...

Front Loading Washer: I have one and I love it. The time spent loading it is made up in less loads! My front loader holds a larger capacity - I think most front loaders do. It does cost a little more but mine is energy efficient which saves on my water bill in the long run, supposedly.

WendyO said...

I agree on the french doors although probably the only time I'd need it is if I had some huge sheet cake that is wider than my shelf, but really... not often enough to make it worth my while.

But I must say, we do have a stack front load washer which isn't too bad... we needed stack b/c we didn't have room for side by side but it's full size and not too cumbersome. And since the dryer is on top, it's basically at my face level so not that hard to empty (no bending required). I did get nervous at first envisioning water leaking out the front of the door but so far, so good... seals on that door work pretty darn good.

What they need to do though is make a progressive system that takes the wash and automatically puts it in the dryer. :-)