Friday, September 10, 2010

The Upsides of Jesse's Current Situation

6 weeks in a body cast??? We were shocked at the news from the doctor that Jesse would be in this huge cast for so long. Neither he nor we adjusted to his new condition quickly. BUT, after a few weeks, we were able to see the good things God was using this time for. Here are a few I've jotted down. I'm sure I'll add to them too.
1. Jesse's small motor skills and hand/eye coordination have developed leaps and bounds, since he is forced to be in one place at a time, and indoors a lot. Puzzles, blocks, games have all gotten to be strengths of his.
2. Jesse's vocabulary has increased. Since he can't show us what he wants, he's had to learn to communicate it to us. He does still use screaming to show us we've misunderstood him, but we've all definitely gotten better at understanding what he's saying.
3. We've had lots more time together as a family, unscheduling ourselves and staying mostly inside.
4. We got to see what an amazing support system of friends and family we have. Meals, activities for the kids to do, friends who've watched Cole or picked up groceries for us, my parents staying with us most of the entire time to help with life. Which brings me to #5
5. The boys have gotten a lot of time with their grandparents, which is priceless.
6. I've become content to stay inside and play with my kids, instead of needing to always go somewhere to stay occupied. We've had lots of fun, and I'm now better able to keep them occupied with things we have at home. (Of course, getting lots of new toys from friends and family helped with that one too!)
7. This also has made us more prepared for winter, and my friends are already saying they'll be asking me for advice on how to stay occupied during long stretches of indoor time during the winter.
8. Jesse is more adaptable now, we hope. I guess we won't know for sure till he gets the cast off, but it's definitely a possibility we're hoping for. God knows adaptability doesn't come naturally for me.
9. I've discovered that I'm more sensitive to kids with special needs, and their parents. I could never fully relate to a parent whose child is permanently disabled, but I have a very good idea of the struggles each day brings in their lives and the myriad challenges they face.
10. Having been helped by so many people, I now have a better idea of how to genuinely help others in need. I'll no longer say, "If you need something, let me know." Instead, I'll try to anticipate others' needs and meet them without them asking.
11. I have a deeper love for my children. I mean, a mother's love is inherent, but mine has grown during this time. The extra time with them, with fewer outside distractions, has been great.

As difficult as this time has been (only 10 days left!!!), it has also been invaluable in terms of what it's done in our lives. Would I go back and avoid Jesse breaking his leg if I could -- yes. But I'm thankful that God has used it to do great things.

3 comments:

amygld said...

beautiful post april! So glad God has been good to you. What a great example you are-- looking for the good in a stinky situation.

Grace grace for these last few days.
lots of love from johannesburg,
amy

Stacey said...

I think it's wonderful when God turns moments like these into opportunities for growth! Probably what he means by rejoice in all things, huh? Thanks for being a great example of a loving momma!
Love your cuz, Stacey

Tina said...

Aweeee! That is awesome! Beautiful! I have tears in my eyes! Thank you for being a teacher to others by sharing this post!