Saturday, September 11, 2010

Fear Everywhere

Fear seems to be around me everywhere lately. Not just any fear; the specific fear of trajedy happening to my kids. I'm sure some of this comes naturally with parenthood. But it's been popping up at every corner.

Jesse getting so badly hurt by simply running through a pile of pillows hasn't helped me be a less cautious mom, that's for sure. So that's one thing: fear of my kids getting physically hurt when playing. I used to be very relaxed about that, but now I'm on edge with it.

Then there are these horrible videos on facebook of kids getting hit by cars or dying in car accidents. I don't even want to think about stuff like that.

And a creepy guy at Centennial Park yesterday warned me, "Don't let your little boys go in that thar bathroom over yonder by themselves." Don't even mess with me mister!

Why is this stuff everywhere??? I can't even watch a TV show where a kid gets hurt in any way. I had to stop watching Grey's Anatomy 3 years ago. I can't handle it!

There are so many ways for our kids to get hurt in our society. The thought of losing a child almost paralyzes me. I'm in a fight now to learn not to be in constant fear about it. I'm not the one in control ultimately, and that's the scariest part! But it's also the thing I need to believe and to let go of in order to overcome all this fear.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

What a great post April! I have these fears too...I'm sure all parents do but it's to what degree. I use to be a "helicopter mom" but have finally gotten past this. As a mom we try to protect our children in every way that we know how. Ultimately we are not in control of our babies so we must let go of this fear. The fear can eat you up! Since Will is allergic to nuts I had such a fear of letting anyone watch him. I didn't think that people would really realize the severity of his allergy (even though I stressed it to them)! Thankfully he is now older and will ask if there are nuts in anything that he is given. You're an awesome mom April and your boys are lucky to have such a wonderful mommy!