Thursday, November 11, 2010

Decisions, Decisions

Once you're a mom for about 2 days, you realize that every day is made up of millions of decisions.

You are constantly trying to decide on things concerning you, your kids, your hair, whether or not to shower that day, organic or non-organic, find a sitter or stay home, spend or save...the list is literally endless. Some are small decisions that don't really mean anything in the long run; others are more important.

Yesterday was one of those days where I almost shut down because there were too many decisions weighing on me. Little ones, medium ones, and big ones all at the same time.

I finally had to sit down and make a list of them so that they'd stop bugging me. Once I get things out of my head and on to paper, they seem less daunting. And, as my life coach told me several times, getting them out of your head "turns off the faucet" that's dripping in there.

Well, I wrote them all down, so the faucet was off. But I still had a bathtub full of decisions that needed to be made and what was I supposed to do with that?

I did the only thing I knew how to do: ask God for help. James 1:5 says if I ask God for wisdom He'll give it, so I asked God for wisdom on each of those decisions. Some I was able to decide on that day. Others are still in the works. But I at least know I'm not alone in making those decisions. God cares about all the details of our lives, even the teeny tiny ones that don't really make a huge difference anyways (mac n cheese or hot dogs?).

I love wisdom. I can't live without it. I'd drive myself mad if I didn't rely on God for wisdom every day. In fact, any day that I try to do it on my own pretty much results in madness, so it's obvious when I'm not relying on God. But that's a whole other issue.

Off to do some google research concerning a few things on my decisions list...

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I love your blog. I'm using it as a parenting prep-course :)

April said...

Aw, thanks Rachel! Won't be too long :)